Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Bad Bad Blogger

OK. After about a DAY, Blogger found your comments. They didn't appear until someone made a NEW comment on another post, but hey, they got back. I think they are all here. I posted all that came in anyway. Thank you all for your thoughts.






Looks like a prose day here. I promise to post pretty photos tomorrow.

So here's the thing --

A blogger that I had never heard of just posted a long, long article on how she was ejected from a sim. She was agasp that the sim owner would do that simply because .....

[2010/05/19 14:07]  Mxxxx Fxxxx:: oh btw the rebel rebel jeans worry me quite a bit hun 0_o

(further conversation on jeans)


[2010/05/19 14:18]  Mxxxx Fxxxx: ok can i reuqest some itesm of yours for a retro look i mean your work is nice... i see some amazing designs among some of the not as good ones but the amazing ones stand out


(ejected after a few more remarks -- some deservedly IMHO rude ones from the designer)


[2010/05/19 14:23]  Mxxxx Fxxxx: what did i do or say wrong?
[2010/05/19 14:23]  Mxxxx Fxxxx: all designers make work that isnt as good as others
[2010/05/19 14:23]  Mxxxx Fxxxx: you are so mean


 (misspellings left in text)

What is WITH THIS GIRL? And I do mean girl. What is she? 14?  Maybe.

At the beginning of her post (and there is NO WAY I am linking to her blog) she states:
Not all designers read my blog and then ask for their work to be featured so like most bloggers i go to designers i feel are good quality and resemble my own personal style. ... The owner (name removed) seemed nice too, i tried to talk to her about maybe featuring work of mine instore untill:

I know a LOT of bloggers and I actively participate in two of the most prominent blogger groups in SL(R). From all the bloggers that I know, this is completely untrue. Most blogger seldom if ever ask for products. MANY never take any review copies at all and prefer to spend there own money and feature their personal style without gifts.

The blogger complaining above has posted 34 times this year -- total. And this makes her an authority of  how "most bloggers" work?

I am now going to write a personal note to the designer in this debacle. I don't know her, but for a moment I felt ashamed to be a part of the blogger community. That DID PASS. It didn't take long. There are too many wonderful guys and gals that work their butts off to highlight  SL fashion. I am proud of them. They are the ones we need to remember, not this insulting and juvenile typist.

Comments

AlessandraK said…
I too had read the post you refer to and like you, was also amazed the blogger's incredible sense of entitlement.

I could hardly believe she felt that she had been wronged!

I can't imagine approaching a designer in this way and then expecting a warm response.

It just proves, it takes all kinds!
Anonymous said…
Chic here --

Whoever left a comment on this sometime before 7:30 PM SL time, Blogger once again did the disappearing comments when I went to moderate. Not censoring. I didn't even get to read. If it was wonderful stuff and you remember what you said, please feel free to comment again. It hasn't ever happened twice in a row. Sorry.
Whispers Magic said…
What you said is so true. AND as a teacher for 26 years...after looking at her blog and reading it I agree about her age. I doubt very highly she is out of high school. Her grammar,punctuation and sentence structure demonstrate that clearly. She behaved horribly!
Anonymous said…
Chic,

I feel you've somewhat misrepresented the point this girl was making by editing what she said. I think perhaps you *should* have linked back to her blog so readers could make up their own minds. Yes, I think she handled the whole situation in a clumsy way however, she states the designer *gave* her items for review -- she didn't ask for them. Indeed, when she questioned their quality she was met with hostility from the designer and you've not written about this. Sure, this blogger should probably get some lessons in how to be a little more diplomatic however, it seems to me she was trying to do the right thing...albeit in a blunt and clumsy way. She may indeed be very young (or just naive) but let's remember that we've all made mistakes and perhaps she'll learn from this. I hope the designer in question also learns from this because I for one will keep well away from her and her store after reading the full transcript.
Emerald Wynn said…
Hi Chic,

I read the original post. I think it was more a case of bad spelling, bad grammar, bad sentence construction and a lack of tact (intelligence?) in that conversation. I honestly think the blogger thought she was being helpful with constructive feedback.

This is a delicate topic. I have a problem with designers who ban people just for expressing an honest opinion -- which sometimes might not be so rosy -- of their work. However, I also have a problem with bloggers who think that writing a "fashion blog" automatically makes them fashion experts.

If this designer offered review items to this particular blogger, she should have been prepared for feedback, bad as well as good. That blogger, however, is hard to understand in general. I don't even understand the first paragraph: Did she request review copies or just buy a bunch of stuff herself? Maybe English isn't her first language??

The lack of capitalization and punctuation gives me a headache and does seem extremely childlike. So I'm not necessarily defending this blogger, but I do think designers should check out the blogs before they distribute review items. If this designer would have done so, she would have recognized the overall lack of sophistication and could have avoided this whole situation in the first place.

However, if this blogger just popped up and said "Hi, I'm a blogger so I'm gonna tell you why your work sucks," it's a different story. I can't really understand the situation from reading it.

And using the word "hun" automatically merits bitch-slapping anyway.

My God, this comment is long. Sorry. ♥
Anonymous said…
Chic here --

Once again I am writing for those of you who may have clicked the "let me know if there are other comments" choice.

Blogger comments seem to be broken. Twice now, FOUR comments in all, they have disappeared when I clicked on the link to see them before publishing. There is apparently NO WAY to contact Blogger and let them know. It's that circles within circles thing. Eventually someone will rant on the forums enough for them to notice I guess and the comments may appear by themselves eventually. That happened before. Sorry.

I DO want to hear your thoughts. You can send a notecard in world if you want. /me shaking head. It's been a day.
Anonymous said…
Chic here avoiding the "life is pain" icon I can't get rid of by commenting as anon.

So glad all (I hope all) of the comments finally showed up. Thank you for your thoughts.

I did read the article over two or three times and agree it is difficult to grasp. It SEEMS to say that the designer sent the blogger some jeans. The blogger didn't like the jeans much, but went to the store and asked to blog the stellar items that she found among the others ("amazing designs among some of the not as good ones ").

It is such poor form to show up at a shop saying you didn't like what they sent but they have a few good things that you would be willing to show. It is embarrassing for me just to read about it.

Yes, the owner should have been willing to take criticism, but criticism followed by give me what I want only is more than she should have had to deal with.


And I never mentioned the bad photos on the blog. Honestly the jeans weren't great, but I have seen many many pair that were less great. The blogger could have just let it GO. That would have been a much better plan.

And if she like some of the stellar designs from that shop, she could have purchased them. Oh, my! What a novel concept - LOL.


Anyway, that is how "I" feel about it. It is perfectly OK to feel differently :D.

Popular Posts