Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Windlight Meme



Do you use windlight while taking pictures? If not, why not?

I have been using Windlight since it first came on the scene  -- looking up -- the wiki says 2009, but my video (see below) says 2008.

When taking a closeup snapshot for a profile picture, which windlight preset do you use most often? 

Which windlight presets do you use for full body portraits? 

If you do landscape photography, which windlights do you use for that most often?

I don't make distinctions between types of photography. For me it is all about the feel of the shot and what I am trying to portray. I have no starting point except perhaps that I use the MOSP (LEA7) standard lighting most often. Love those gray clouds.

Do you have any tricks or tips that you could share for using windlight effectively?

If you are on the Linden viewer -- Windlight is HARD. Firestorm's quick preferences pane lets you cycle through ALL your Windlight settings, both your own and those that come with the viewer. If I don't have a specific idea about what I want, I simply keep hitting that "next" button until something says, "aahhhh" and from there I tweak for shadows and gamma and sometimes "haze". 

Have you created any windlights that you would be willing to share with us?   

Many of you already have my Windlight settings. Anything in your viewer (Firestorm, Singularity and who knows what other TPVs) marked "Places" are mine from long ago when I was publishing individual windlight settings with most every post.  If you are using a viewer that doesn't have them included, you can download them here.  Then figure out where your windlight settings are saved and paste them into that folder. Some helpful tips can be found here.

I will say that I have a VERY OLD video with an embarrassing voice over that talks about Windlight and shadows. If you want a laugh, you can find it here. The information is still good.  Well, no guarantees on that but the IDEA about low on the horizon is important *wink*. That was actually my THIRD machinima of all time, so keep that in mind *wink*.

Later: I guess I should add that should any of you want those gray clouds and strong shadows you see on these pages, you can zip over to LEA7 and use the region default setting, save as a new Windlight and you will have it :D.

Comments

Zee said…
Ah, deja vu. Your video was one of the videos I watched when I first started tweaking with my settings, so I'm taking this opportunity to say THANK YOU! :)
I was actually heading over to your blog to find the post you did a few weeks ago when you mentioned the Places settings were your creations. I'm glad you got in first this week - I was able to link directly to this post instead of digging through the archives.

Not that going through your posts is a bad thing...but this was just much more efficient ;)

Thank you (directly - I mentioned it in my post) for creating these fabulous settings!
OOohhh, I'm totally coming over to steal the clouds from LEA7 later. Thank you! <3

Popular Posts